Saturday, June 8, 2013

For The Boys....


I just want to say that I am incredibly proud of this team. I am so overwhelmed with joy, sadness, and pride right now.

Joy, that this team has taken myself and countless others on an incredible and amazing journey these last two years.

Sadness, that the season is over and they won't be able to feel the exhilaration of defending their title.

Pride, because this team gave everything they had out there, and proved to everyone just how amazing they are.

They played their beanbags off today and proved just what warriors they are. After hearing some of the injuries these boys played through, I have to share just a few thoughts with you guys.

First off, the dedication they showed to each other, this team, and this city by showing up and competing each night is unbelievable. They showed up today in Chicago a bruised and beat up bunch, and still gave every ounce of energy and strength they had. They came back twice in this game when it looked like all hope was lost. This team simply didn't care about themselves, they sacrificed everything for each other. This team is resilient and relentless, and I don't think Kings fans want it any other way. They hit harder tonight, they skated faster tonight, and they did things I didn't think they could. They simply did not want it to end. That shows me a hungry team, a team that is willing to do whatever it takes to win. All those things fill my heart with pride and gives me hope for the future.

As we transition now to the off season and next year, I hope that this team learns and grows from their experiences this season. They defended their championship better than many before, and I know they will continue to do great things. I know this stings now, and I hope it lingers until they get to kiss Lord Stanley again. I hope the hunger and passion they have only grows, and they come back healthy and ready to kick ass next year. There are so many great things that can come from losing. While it seems dark now, every single thing that happened this year will make this team better next year. The Cup run was magical, but this season may prove to be even more valuable. This team knows how it feels to win, and how it feels to lose after being at the top. This is something the Blackhawks and Bruins have experienced and learned from, and I have no doubt this team will too.

I just want to say good luck to the Blackhawks, Bruins, and their dedicated fans. Both fan bases know how we feel this year, because they have experienced it themselves. There may not be two more fan bases who can relate to us more actually. Long droughts, followed by amazing championship runs, and of course disappointment the following season(s). They have both returned to the pinnacle, and this team can too. I see a start to something big here, and a future brighter than ever before. While players may leave, and new faces may grace our lineup, they will still be Kings.

They will still wear that jersey with pride.

They will still play for each other.

They will still sacrifice every night.

They will still play for this city.

They will still be Kings.

1 comment:

  1. That was so well said and completely echoes how I'm feeling right now. thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete